Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Neanderthal Meanderings About Life and the Like


While I was in America my dad got a Facebook message from an expat friend (expatriate, basically someone who is living in a foreign country of their own free will) His name is Tim Post, he's an entrepreneur right now working teaching Russian geeks all they need to know about that techy internet stuff (more on Tim, HERE )
What he had to say, is that he enjoyed my blog and thinks the writing is crisp and funny. There is some deep rooted satisfaction in the thought that someone thinks you’re funny, vain? Maybe.  He said that when we got back to Kdar he wanted to sit down and talk about my blog and what I could do to grow it and work out the kinks. I was dumbfounded. It’s always an incredible and enjoyable shock when you hear that someone in this vast world enjoys your work, better yet your Neanderthal meanderings about life and nothing in particular.
So that’s what happened yesterday, I got my meeting. I didn’t really know what to expect. But it went totally smooth; I don’t think I have ever been so complimented on my writing, EVER.  I got so much advice as well, a lot of tech advice too that I won’t get into right now(your welcome). He advised I get a twitter, so yeah, I’ve avoided twitter for a while….being unsure of what exactly to do with it. I’m still getting used to it, but feel free to follow me HERE.
Tim gave me three books to read. I’ve always wondered how writers like Stephen King can pump out so many books and yet there are other writers like Harper Lee and Emily Bronte only wrote one book. Does that make their single book so much better? Does it mean all Stephen King’s talent is spread so thin between his many books? Maybe my question will be answered in, On Writing, A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King. The two other books he would like me to read are, The Glamour of Grammar by Roy Peter Clark (Yes I am sure you would like me to read this as well), and The Elements of Style by William Struck Jr. and E.B. White. The last of which he said that every great writer must own, I am very excited about these and am looking forward to my next meeting with Tim at the end of April.
                He also advised that I talk more about Russia and what it’s like to live in a third world country. I’m not going to live on this side of the world forever, he said, so I should use my experiences to the best of my ability, while I still have the chance.
He thinks that I am a talented writer (Hey no laughing!) and I should do my best to broaden my horizons by branching off into all the different sort of writing I can get. So I’ll do my best to experiment with that, mainly learning to keep my personal opinion out of certain styles.
‘You don’t become a writer, without being a reader as well’ he said. In that case I better pick up on my reading also : ) Luckily the Fisher’s library is about the size of a small wale, so I have plenty of books to get my hands on. Speaking of good books, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, was a MARVOLOUS book, it’s just one of those books that can stir up so much emotion and feeling inside of you, all in the first three pages. But I ought to stop talking about it else I give the whole thing away.

Cheers,
Madi


(Yes, I am not a good enough writer to get away with writing as much as seen above , and still keeping my audience entertained. Well sometimes life just ain't a cake walk ok? 

2 comments:

  1. Madi... you're doing great (truly!!). Thanks for listening to an old guy like me ))) I can still remember when my grandfather used to give me some writing tips and for my 14 birthday gave me a copy of Bartlett's Book of Quotations (way back when, before the internet). Someday, you'll do the same. I look forward to reading your thoughts on those books and I'll see you at the end of April. /Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And you're welcome, thanks for offering the advice :D
      So far the books are great! I am LOVING the Stephen King book!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What do you have to say ABOUT THAT?