Thursday, March 22, 2012

365- Short Story Friday - A Dance in the Clouds by Ashley Wilson


     Short Story Friday, for the first time in a long string of weeks ON TIME! This is a monumental moment everyone, just take a mental picture, cherish it. 

    A Dance in the Clouds is written by Ashley Wilson, the same girl who made up Chucky stories involving our lovely demise (see post here). Before this snippet, I had only read her horror work, and one of her books which she has sent to a publisher! But on the interesting matter of horror, you see, we always beg her to write us a horror story when we are camping. There’s nothing better than a good blood curdling story about an axe murder who roams the woods around your tent calling out for his lost lover with a sickening vengeance. And Ashley can weave a horror story like no other; she managed to make a story about an ugly doll she saw in a dark nursery when she was younger, sound like your worst nightmare. 
     I am very excited to post one of her lighter tales (maybe sometime we’ll do something darker?) so I won’t keep you waiting, read on! 



A Dance in the Clouds

I sit there staring at my feet. 
All my wonderful dreams of tonight are shattered when I find myself alone once again. 
My once radiant dress now seemed to lose its sparkle,
my eager shoes become sad while watching all the others dance about. 
I was ready to remove myself from all the gaiety around me, then I saw you. 
Time seemed to stop when I caught your eye. 
The dancing couples paused in mid-step.
 The smiling faces froze like statues. 
All was silent as your handsome form took long strides to where I sat. 
My face flushed, bright red, as you bent to kiss my hand. 
You bid me gently to rise from my lonely seat to honor you with a dance. 
I placed my hand on your arm as you led me to the dance floor. 
The music began and our hands met. 
You twirled me around with such ease that it was no work at all to sway in sync with you. 
My shoes were honored to have such a partner. 
All else faded except you and me and at some point the floor seemed to disappear beneath us.
 It was magical to dance with you in the sky.
 I had no fear of falling or you held me securely in your arms. 
As our dance slows down, you hold me closer to your strong frame and you lean down so that our mouths touch.  
All at once you were gone. 
The floor returned, cold and gray.
The couples resumed their dancing and the laughing faces came back to life, and I was once again on my chair. 
I sighed and looked down at my shoes as I to apologize for ruining that wonderful dream.
Maybe one day I’ll catch your eye for real, and maybe one day you’ll take me dancing in the clouds again. 




80. It was magical to dance with you in the sky



81. Time Stopped 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What do you have to say ABOUT THAT?