Friday, February 17, 2012

365- Short Story Friday and Haunted Memories



Short Story Friday! Actually on Friday this time! Today's story is by former mk Sarah Gardner. I am actually getting on a plane in a few hours to go see her up in Portland Maine! Agh! Exciting. 



 46. Haunted Memories 



Haunted Memories
by Sarah Gardner
            Some people swore that the house was haunted. It was my house they were talking about. I suppose you might say they had good reason to think it was haunted, but I wouldn't say it was. For farther back than I can remember, I have lived there. It had been in my family for generations. I was born there; so was my father and his father before him. The nooks and crannies of that house were as well known to me as my own mother's face. My brothers and sisters and I loved to play whatever games we fancied, using the whole inside of the house as our playground. Often I would go up to the attic. I remember the half-sized door leading out to the open widow's walk. Of all the places in the house, that was my favorite. I spent a lot of time there. So it's not surprising that up on the widow's walk was where the accident happened.
            We were playing hide and seek tag one crisp autumn morning. We were playing inside because Momma expected company soon, and she didn't want us to get our clothes dirty. I remember I hid up in the attic, amongst the moth-eaten boxes and old dusty portraits. My sister was coming up the stairs, and  I sat, as quiet as an ant, afraid she would hear even the slightest breath.
            As it was, she found me immediately, but I was too quick; before she could tag me I dashed out from behind a box, banging my knee. I dashed to the small door leading out to the widow's walk and blindly flung it open. I was wholly absorbed in the game and nothing else mattered. So I rushed out onto the widow's walk, clambered over the railing, and onto the slanted roof.
            “Elizabeth!” My sister called
            “Can't catch me now!” I taunted, ignoring her pleas.
            Welch 2
            “Just come in off the roof, you'll fall! I promise I won't tag you!” But I , stubborn as an ox, began to move farther away from her, balancing along the roof and lightly stepping along.
            And then I fell. I don't remember the falling part, or even hitting the ground. I remember a shocked surprise, and blackness.
            When I opened my eyes I was standing in the living room. My mother and father, and all my siblings, as well as several of the closest neighbors, were all gathered around. A moment later I realized some of them were crying. My mother was sobbing into my father's shoulder, my brothers sitting in shocked silence. A neighbor lady was patting my sister's arm. What was going on? I moved toward my parents, to see why Momma was crying and why my father had a blank look on his face. They paid no attention to me.
            I circled the room, every now and then approaching someone to ask him or her what was happening, but no one seemed to hear me, or see me. A dark suspicion was creeping up in my mind, but I shoved it away.
            For several weeks after the accident, I stayed with my family, but they acted as though they didn't know I was there. That was when people began to whisper that the house was haunted. I suppose a few of my actions must have been felt, or sensed, by some. It wasn't long before my family moved. I didn't go with them. And nothing was ever the same after that.


47. Some People Swore the House Was Haunted





Other posts relating to the writer, are HERE
3, Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What do you have to say ABOUT THAT?